Monday, January 23, 2017

Pussy Cats

All Americans I've ever met and talked to about my pussies get very embarrassed. I've learned to say "kitties" instead. But, it turns out that these Americans have just been teasing me, and all along Americans have known full well what pussy cats are! I know I said it wasn't going to work, because it didn't work for BREXIT, but it turns out that pusscats are actually going to save the world. 

 So, it seems like a good time to introduce the new ones:

Lola is a little black (so basically impossible to photograph inside in a Yorkshire winter) 7 month old kitten who is bright, loves games, and climbing, and is also very affectionate - curled up on my lap right now. 


Esme is her slight;y larger sister, and is so pretty that she gets 2 pics. I'm not sure, but I suppose she could be a longhaired tortoiseshell and white, possibly dilute (i.e. she seems more cream and grey than ginger and black, but she still has a lot of kitten fur). She is a bit more timid than Lola and took a few days to settle in. She behaves like Lola, but as if she were wearing a pretty frock that she doesn't want to get dirty. She's quite long, and when she lies down she goes very flat and it is easy to mistake her for a scarf draped over the back of the sofa. 


"which one is my tail!?"

And then there is Alphie, although we have been calling him Boris, because he behaves like a Boris and the rescue only called him Alphie due to his alpha-male characteristics. He's the reason we have got this little troupe; he was causing a bit of trouble at the rescue, but I said I wanted more than one cat (we have two laps, after all!). Boris loves banging his head on everything, including people, and  he really puts his weight behind it ("clunk"). He's really fast when he plays, sometimes mowing down the kittens like little Japanese schools boys, but he seems to run out of energy quickly - I think he is a touch overweight. He's not super dominant, however, and seems to quite like the kittens, and since he doesn't push them away from the food bowl, I hope they will eat all the food and help him slim down a bit. 



edit. 
Oh dear, great minds think alike and I accidentally over-blogged poor James. 
Disclaimer : NONE OF THESE CATS EAT TOAST! 

3 comments:

Steve Bloom said...

Yet. Cats acquire tastes for very odd things indeed. The degree of attention you lavish on the burnt toast may be determinative.

That's an impressive ruff on Esme! Much better than the one on the fake lion.

jules said...

The internet suggests the sisters may be smoke. This means their hair is white under the surface... which it is, while Boris' fur is black all the way down. Explains Esme's ruff and probably also why we can see the tabby pattern in Lola's black coat

Hank Roberts said...

oh, _that_ Boris: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/books/authors/the-best-british-political-insults-rows-and-putdowns/boris-johnson/